Sunday, February 10, 2013

Kids Say the Darndest Things

If you're a mom, then you've certainly collected your fair share of kidisms through the years. Some make us laugh. Some make us cry. Some make us cringe. It's been my experience that those that make us cringe usually take place while waiting in the checkout line at Wal-Mart, but that's another post entirely.

One of my personal favorites took place in my very own bedroom about three or four years ago. Addie and I were snuggled under the covers watching the 10 o'clock news. It probably wasn't a school night. OK, so maybe it was. Don't judge. Anyway, Rob McCartney was reporting on the latest in a series of robberies. He referred to the suspect as a "serial robber" to which 7-year-old Addie looked at me puzzled and said, "Who'd want to steal cereal?"

It's not as if my steady stream of facebook fodder ended with Addie's death.

If you've had the pleasure of experiencing the dynamic duo that is Isaac and Tripp, then you know they keep life, umm, entertaining.

"Mom, " Isaac said after a particularly trying day. "I just keep forgetting to be good."

Well, they keep it interesting anyway.

Exhibit A
Exhibit B
Exhibit C
But the conversations that flow freely at our house might be a bit different than the ones that take place at yours.

The topic of death is a frequent guest at our dinner table. So is God. And Heaven.

You might think that's pretty heavy table talk and I'm sure it raises more than a few eyebrows when these things come up when we're out and about, but really it's not - especially when you have a 3 year and 5 year old involved. It's just...

Normal, I guess. Well, normal for us.

There are those that make me laugh:

"Mom, are there TVs in Heaven?"

"Mom, does Addie have an iPad?"

To which I answer, yes.

Yeah, I know, I'm probably going to get in trouble for that, but it's not like I was given a guide book for this.

"How did Addie get up into the clouds?"

You've got to believe me when I tell you I actually explained this one in a way that would make my Sunday School teachers proud, but I'm not sure Isaac and Tripp are buying it just yet.

"I think she probably used a rope or something," Isaac said.

There are those that make me cry. 

Like this one I overheard the other day as the boys paused in a fight over who got to spit toothpaste in the sink first:

"Isaac, when is Addie coming back?" Tripp asked.

"She's not," Isaac answered matter-of-factly.

"But when is she coming back?" Tripp pushed.

"She's not."

"But when..."

"She's not coming back because she died!"

That's when I decided to step around the corner and into the bathroom.

And that's when Isaac, not wanting to believe what he had just told his little brother, asked me, "How many minutes until Addie comes back?"

And then there are those that, well, I don't know what they make me do:

"Mom, I wish we could all go to Heaven so we can be a family again."

What do you say to that?

Someday, buddy. Someday.






6 comments:

  1. You are far more the expert than I, but something popped into my head as an explanation for the last one. First I would let him know that we are still a family. Second, we can only be in one place at a time. If we were in heaven we couldn't be with the people on earth that we love. Third, someday we will all be together again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply. You're right. We are still a family and always will be.

      Delete
  2. There are no handbooks for kids. I feel you have handled them very well, especially all that has happened in their lives.
    I am sure you will continue to be a great mom, you have great values and a wonderful personality. Your boys sound like and adventure and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly an amazing woman. Your posts continue to make me smile and tear up at the same time. What a beautiful family you have. You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete